What is Coastside Comeback?
The Half Moon Bay Downtown Association developed Coastside Comeback as a way to help our local businesses mitigate losses from the COVID-19 shelter-in-place ordinance. It’s a central web site where customers can go to purchase gift cards from their favorite Coastside businesses, restaurants and hotels for use at a later date, OR donate their gift card purchase, directly through the site, to their favorite local charity or first responders.
If you would like to be a participating business, you must have your own method for generating gift cards, or paper gift certificates—gift cards amounts are set at $25, $50, $100, $150, $200 & $250. You’ll need to specify if you want a different amount. You can also choose if you want to add a 10% discount to the certificate (please, no other discount amounts, we’re trying to simplify where we can).
We’ll need your logo and a brief, 1-paragraph description of your business. Some things to keep in mind in your description—how long you’ve been in business, how many people you employ, and what you sell in your establishment. You can provide all of this info in the form at the bottom of this page.
How it works
- A customer buys your gift card on the Coastside Comeback web site
- The order is processed and the payment is collected by our payment processor
- The site will send you a daily email notification (if you have new sales) with your new gift certificate orders
- You’ll mail out your gift certificate or card to the customer’s address OR to their designated charity with your customer’s name attached as the donor.
- Every Monday, we’ll send you a check for the funds we’ve collected on your behalf, less a 4% processing fee (customers will have the option of paying this fee for you at checkout, so you may be charged less than 4% of the total—most customers pay the fee). We’ll also provide a statement summarizing your orders and payments.
This is a not-for-profit project, though we do need to pass through the cost of payment processing, a cost you’d also have when selling gift cards on your own. Our payment processor charges 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction, which works out to 4.1% on a $25 transaction, 3.5% on a $50 transaction, and 3.2% on a $100 transaction. To keep it simple, we’re charging a flat 4% on all transactions, and any amount in excess of the payment processor’s fees will be used to defer the cost of printing and mailing checks. The labor required to process orders and mail checks is provided free of charge by volunteers, and all web development and web hosting costs for this service have been donated by Crucial Creative.